Good thought here!
So being one of these C riders who wins alot(strong sprint at 80.7kg) yet has a 3.08w/kg .
My race rank is like 410. (10th overall in C) If i do a B race i typically would finish 16 out of 20 yet i am likely the third or 4th best rank. So if the performace system goes into place ( which i want) your race score should go up or down each race u do. Right now it just goes up. (Better) So that peeps like me and others dont get stuck in a high group because we use to win lower groups.
Does this make sense?
In other words if im 410 and continue to place 15 to 20 and another person is 510 and he does all the same races and places between 5 and 10 eventually he should have a better (lower) score then me.?
Heavier people aren’t favored; they just tend to have more absolute watts and absolute watts are more important than W/kg on nearly every course in Zwift.
Fozzzer wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:09 pm
I’m not an algorithm expert, and I’ve only been plodding around for a few months, but are all of the category A+ riders registered as 150kg? I can’t find any around that are heavy.

Loads of people post on here about heavy riders being favoured, but from what I can see that is never the case in a race.

In my experience I can sit at 350w all day long, but on any incline I just drift backwards. I’m a fat git by the way compared to most on here.

Unless my competition is a Zpower rider I never get beaten by someone heavier than me.

Funnily enough in real life I can hold my own.
Being heavier is an advantage *assuming equal w/kg*. A+ rankings begin at 4.6 w/kg, that would be a 690w FTP for a 150kg rider - well beyond what's possible with known human physiology. It seems there's diminishing returns on FTP potential beyond about 80kg.
Types long post about how is absolute watts that are the advantage, not absolute kg.
Most Zwift races aren't hilly enough that w/kg is an advantage over absolute W.
Matt Robinson wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:43 pm
Most Zwift races aren't hilly enough that w/kg is an advantage over absolute W.
I never understood this observation. Look at the Richmond UCI worlds course, it is mostly flat with 3 bumps. You say raw watt is king, then why did the guy averaging 272w not win the race when he put out he most watt of all, but instead he got 8th place.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=155565

I would prefer a scoring system like IRL instead of a w/kg system.
Usually races are not won by raw wattage. Those 3 bumps are the key of the race in Richmond. The faster on those, the more chances to win the race. Even in TT races, you need to know when to push and when to rest.

5 minute effort is a key factor in the actual courses on zwift. The 4 big climbs in original watopia are less than 2 minutes climbs.

In London they added a +7 minute climb and i think a second one of +15m (not sure)
In Inssbruck a +24m climb
In expansions of Watopia +29 minute climb and +50 minute in Alpe du Zwift
In NY because there are shorts climbs and other +5 minutes and very hard ones.

But most races are just flat with 2-7 minutes steady climbs. So, usual winners are the best in short efforts, at least in D, C and B. A and A+ is another world.
High raw power is absolutely crucial for:
1. Not being absolutely spent before first climb even starts.
2. Recovery between consecutive climbs and other selective parts of the course.
3. Being able to stay up the road after uphill attacks. Finish line is rarely on the climb.
What does it take to get downgrades to C cat?
Edu wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:28 pm
What does it take to get downgrades to C cat?
Average of your best 3 race efforts (View 95% button) since 2 Jan 19 is currently used for categorisation.

Once that stretches to 90 days then it will be a rolling 90 day period.