Questions, banter and general discussion.
Question, this whole ranking system is confusing to me... I try not to dig to deeply into it. But sometimes I have questions. I was reading, to improve ranking one of the things you must do is to beat riders who are ranked better than you...

My question: What happens when riders who are ranked better get dropped from the leading pack and then proceed to exit the race before it finishes. So many times we start a race with a big bunch in the category, but at the end the results only show a few that finished the race. Do finishers get ranking points for beating DNFs? Or is it like DNF never even raced?

Thanks in advance
You get assessed against other finishers only.

We use USAC rules with some adaptation for small fields.
uclown2002 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:26 pm
You get assessed against other finishers only.

We use USAC rules with some adaptation for small fields.
Man that's a massive flaw in the ranking system. So much so, that it kinda invalidates the entire system.
Racers can just pull the plug on their race if they get dropped. And not have any negative effects from a DNF 😕 on their ranking.
But they in turn reduce the positive effects that others will gain. That sucks 👎

Also teams can utilize their teammates as early and mid race domestiques to pull back aggressive riders while one or two of their guys sit in the bunch conserving, knowing that their teammates will use all their fire power to control the race early and then drop out, with no negative consequence.

Its now starting to make sense, no wonder mid race is so timid with racers hardly ever looking to attack the peloton, its the biggest difference between zwift and the real world. Attacks and counter attacks are rare, except on climbs where W/kg just pulls away.

No one wonder the field is so big at the start and so small at the end.
There was already a ranking system with negative points - people quit anyway. Not everyone races for ranking points.