Questions, banter and general discussion.
111 posts
Matt whitwell wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:38 am
Carl no one was saying that adding weight makes you faster, what is true that it is less of a penalty than you would expect. It's not so much of a gripe on flat courses but when riding the hill sections lighter riders should have a massive advantage. This is why all the time gains in big tours are made by little guys on climbing stages.
Let them just think this is like real. From my experience I know it is totally different at 2000m and above when I remember last year when I was climbing the Stelvio and I saw these big and/or heavy guys standing in the corners getting some breath and I am passing at the inner side at the most steepest part dancing on the pedals.
Time gains in Zwift are made by lighter riders on climbs too, I’m yet to ride a climb in Zwift where lighter riders don’t pull away like they do in real life. It happens every ride.

In real life I am not claiming to be a mountain goat, I would not beat a fitter lighter guy or girl up a long hill. Far from it, I am slow compared to some of my mates, no question.

What confuses me is that people repeatedly say heavier guys are advantaged on Zwift and I never see it! I wish it was the case believe me! On a solo loop with a metronomic pace there may have been a test where the solo rider was 20s quicker over 20km, I don’t doubt or challenge it. But when lighter guys leave me behind on a climb in Zwift I don’t magically catch them later on due to my beer belly.

I do like beer too, if I had less I would get lighter. But I definitely would not get shorter!!
Pedro Errecart wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:02 am
nice lady
https://www.zwiftpower.com/profile.php?z=979149
A shared account almost certainly looking at extended history.
Fozzzer wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:38 am
Time gains in Zwift are made by lighter riders on climbs too, I’m yet to ride a climb in Zwift where lighter riders don’t pull away like they do in real life. It happens every ride.

In real life I am not claiming to be a mountain goat, I would not beat a fitter lighter guy or girl up a long hill. Far from it, I am slow compared to some of my mates, no question.

What confuses me is that people repeatedly say heavier guys are advantaged on Zwift and I never see it! I wish it was the case believe me! On a solo loop with a metronomic pace there may have been a test where the solo rider was 20s quicker over 20km, I don’t doubt or challenge it. But when lighter guys leave me behind on a climb in Zwift I don’t magically catch them later on due to my beer belly.

I do like beer too, if I had less I would get lighter. But I definitely would not get shorter!!
I think we have a very different experience on zwift. Logic and theory would suggest on a stage with lots of climbing w/kg would be more important than watts. This isn't the case whatever the terrain watts wins. I accept this is correct on flats but should be balanced on climbs. I watched a 60kg rider in B hitting very solid w/kg numbers in a race yesterday and was slowest up the main climb by a good margin. To go any faster hed have needed to be riding at an A cat level.
Matt whitwell wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:42 pm
Fozzzer wrote:

I think we have a very different experience on zwift. Logic and theory would suggest on a stage with lots of climbing w/kg would be more important than watts. This isn't the case whatever the terrain watts wins. I accept this is correct on flats but should be balanced on climbs. I watched a 60kg rider in B hitting very solid w/kg numbers in a race yesterday and was slowest up the main climb by a good margin. To go any faster hed have needed to be riding at an A cat level.
And I guess we share the same experience :-D

Yesterday during the social ride I did I noticed the weirdest things again (AGAIN). Often I need to ride the balls out of my pants to stay or get into the wheel checking that I am 4-5 watt/kg while the others are just at 2-3 watt/kg, especially at the moment a downhill starts or at the start of a (short) climb.
Alexander Perdon wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:39 pm
Matt whitwell wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:42 pm
Fozzzer wrote:

And I guess we share the same experience :-D

Yesterday during the social ride I did I noticed the weirdest things again (AGAIN). Often I need to ride the balls out of my pants to stay or get into the wheel checking that I am 4-5 watt/kg while the others are just at 2-3 watt/kg, especially at the moment a downhill starts or at the start of a (short) climb.
I sometimes have to pedal a bit harder at the start of hills and also sometimes have to raise my effort to stick with people as we go over the top. We all have the same experience, 8-)

How is that relevant to height doping though?
Back to the height topic......
This guy is racing at 160cm, but his "Initial Height Check" is 183cm on the "Aliases" tab. From what I can see it looks like he changed it just prior to the KCL and left it there.
https://www.zwiftpower.com/profile.php?z=1560

Also, it seemed that Sticky mentioned some triggers that will automatically DQ people for height doping, are they going to be retroactive? I hope so; weed out the filth from this platform.
doctordevlin wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:29 am
This guy is racing at 160cm, but his "Initial Height Check" is 183cm on the "Aliases" tab. From what I can see it looks like he changed it just prior to the KCL and left it there.

Also, it seemed that Sticky mentioned some triggers that will automatically DQ people for height doping, are they going to be retroactive? I hope so; weed out the filth from this platform.
A short suspension is in order.
uclown2002 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:33 am
doctordevlin wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:29 am

A short suspension is in order.
ABSOLUTELY no way he is 160 cm / 5ft 3inch if you check his Strava photos and do a quick search, he is a USA Cat 1 rider. I'm sure that the 183 cm was correct to begin with...