Questions, banter and general discussion.
111 posts
Fozzzer wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:18 am
Alexander Perdon wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:39 pm
Matt whitwell wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:42 pm

I think we have a very different experience on zwift. Logic and theory would suggest on a stage with lots of climbing w/kg would be more important than watts. This isn't the case whatever the terrain watts wins. I accept this is correct on flats but should be balanced on climbs. I watched a 60kg rider in B hitting very solid w/kg numbers in a race yesterday and was slowest up the main climb by a good margin. To go any faster hed have needed to be riding at an A cat level.
And I guess we share the same experience :-D

Yesterday during the social ride I did I noticed the weirdest things again (AGAIN). Often I need to ride the balls out of my pants to stay or get into the wheel checking that I am 4-5 watt/kg while the others are just at 2-3 watt/kg, especially at the moment a downhill starts or at the start of a (short) climb.
I sometimes have to pedal a bit harder at the start of hills and also sometimes have to raise my effort to stick with people as we go over the top. We all have the same experience, 8-)

How is that relevant to height doping though?
Don't fool me, I know what I am talking about. The same experience today AGAIN.

This is relevant to this topic since a few started to mention that shorter or lighter riders do have an advantage and that this test proves it all. I won't deny there is something called height doping, but don't make this general and claim that all shorter riders do have this advantage. Yes some shorter riders do have advantage but these riders are quite exceptional that they are strong riders who produce lots of watts, and as said before...high watts is dominant on Zwift.

Zwift is all about producing high watts instead of high watt/kg. Please stop denying this!
im short and light and never win nowt, did the alp yesterday did ok too (best power figures to date); had one women go at a constant 4,7 w/kg, flat, up down didnt matter. was with her for a good part of the ride. plenty of the 100 mile a week strava riders too smashing up it at over 4 w/kg.
How did that guy expect to get away with dropping 23cm? That’s hilarious.
maybe a really bad accident at knee lvl??
OnTopic:

Lets take a rider with height 180cm, weight 75kg and FTP is 300 watt and we call him Rider A. Now Rider A will go for height doping and the height is lowered to 160cm. This rider we will call Rider A'. We simulate a ride and here we find that Rider A' is faster than Rider A, like suggested in the first post in this topic. This proves that height doping is possible within Zwift.

But please, don't consider Rider A' as a totally different rider, dont take him as Rider B. He is still the same rider, but just his height is changed. To make this more concrete, while Rider A is quite common you won't easy come accross a rider with height at 160cm, weight 75kg and FTP is 300 watt.
Alexander Perdon wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:40 pm
OnTopic:

Lets take a rider with height 180cm, weight 75kg and FTP is 300 watt and we call him Rider A. Now Rider A will go for height doping and the height is lowered to 160cm. This rider we will call Rider A'. We simulate a ride and here we find that Rider A' is faster than Rider A, like suggested in the first post in this topic. This proves that height doping is possible within Zwift.

But please, don't consider Rider A' as a totally different rider, dont take him as Rider B. He is still the same rider, but just his height is changed. To make this more concrete, while Rider A is quite common you won't easy come accross a rider with height at 160cm, weight 75kg and FTP is 300 watt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4BI1WwhL8M <<< just watch.
hells bells darren thats insane
Darren Green wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:45 pm
Alexander Perdon wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:40 pm
OnTopic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4BI1WwhL8M <<< just watch.
I have seen the video before and watched it again and ofcourse I agree this type of cheating is disruptive. But the problem is that these 4 riders are considered as 4 different riders instead of one rider with different physical boundaries. Yes height doping can be an issue in Zwift, but don't jump too easy to conclusions.This video doesn't prove that being short has advantages, but what is actually proves is that when a particular rider changes his height the time the rider needs to finish the course will change accordingly. Also this video doesn't prove that the algorithm how to calculate the CdA as being used by Zwift is totally wrong. The explanation at the start of the video with the two ladies doesn't make any sense. For a correct CdA you need to carefully determine the frontal area and a way to achieve this is by counting the number of pixels. And someone already showed me this before, it is not that easy and straightforward like explained in the video.
Kevin Blades wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:37 pm
maybe a really bad accident at knee lvl??
Ouch!
Kevin Blades wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:12 pm
im short and light and never win nowt, did the alp yesterday did ok too (best power figures to date); had one women go at a constant 4,7 w/kg, flat, up down didnt matter. was with her for a good part of the ride. plenty of the 100 mile a week strava riders too smashing up it at over 4 w/kg.
Your results look ok to me Kev!