Questions, banter and general discussion.
111 posts
almost.fast wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:59 am
I found two suspicious profiles regarding height doping:

https://www.zwiftpower.com/profile.php?z=901283

https://www.zwiftpower.com/profile.php?z=513815

Both changed their height between races.
Maybe it isn't the right place to post it, but I didn't found a better one.
Both were DQ'd in the reace where they changed their heights.
leecara wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:02 pm
Some good points but it's hard to judge RL data to Zwift. In RL I personally refuse to go above 30mph at 27 i start to get scared and back off so my average mph is a lot lower than it could be as a result. I'm also the worst corner taker you would ever see, i'm so stiff on the bike i can't relax to take corners at any reasonable pace and lose quite a bit of ground on my friends. I'm guessing but they may be others like me, or others who have equally strange fear factors. All my data is open on strava for people to see, i'm ok at sprinting on Zwift (B cat sprints) and the one place i actually try on RL rides i'm joint top as it's a small incline sprint that doesn't involve me going to fast.
One thing i'd like to see is Zwift to allow zwiftpower verified rider races. That way i don't have to go deep every race chasing a guy who won't show in results.
Also for those guys who complain about light weights beating them up hills, i'm 58 kg and I constantly get hammered up hills by guy's 80-90 kg so i'm not seeing any benefit, i'm not a premium Strava member but i'd be intrigued to see how many 80+ kg riders are beating me up local climbs.
Hopefully one day we get a fair system that suits the majority but until then we can only be responsible for our own integrity.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=171935 there aren’t that many 80+kg riders in the first half of this field that don’t put out serious power.
https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=121984 how many pages before you count 10 80+kg riders?
Carl the second link isn't even a race so it's not a good example. As for the first race i'm a cat B racer so that's all i take notice off and as you can see heavy riders dominate the top 10.
leecara wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:17 am
Carl the second link isn't even a race so it's not a good example. As for the first race i'm a cat B racer so that's all i take notice off and as you can see heavy riders dominate the top 10.
Depends what you class as heavy ;)
leecara wrote:
In w/kg class racing, heavier riders typically have an advantage.
I am 186cm, 68kg, and I notice in Zwift group rides I have to produce about 25% more w/kg to keep up with others. Zwift Power seems to confirm this.And no, I'm not taking a lot of pulls out front.

Somehow I doubt Indurain, Wiggins, Froome, Merckx, and other tall riders had a huge disadvantage when riding irl. I believe that Zwift algorithms overstate the drag disadvantage here. Fortunately, I don't race on Zwift so it really doesn't matter much to me, but the disadvantage would certainly be really discouraging if I did.
Cjostberg wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:20 pm
leecara wrote:
In w/kg class racing, heavier riders typically have an advantage.
That’s just anecdotal. Please provide evidence of a race where the field was led by heavy riders.
Pete Bynon wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:33 pm
I am 186cm, 68kg, and I notice in Zwift group rides I have to produce about 25% more w/kg to keep up with others. Zwift Power seems to confirm this.And no, I'm not taking a lot of pulls out front.

Somehow I doubt Indurain, Wiggins, Froome, Merckx, and other tall riders had a huge disadvantage when riding irl. I believe that Zwift algorithms overstate the drag disadvantage here. Fortunately, I don't race on Zwift so it really doesn't matter much to me, but the disadvantage would certainly be really discouraging if I did.
I still pull out front on Zwift, it’s a training medium after all so why hide. In my real life Cat 4 race on Saturday I did my fair share of drafting :lol:
I would suggest taking one of the events where there was no enforced categories, and plot race position vs avr w/kg. and then do the same for race position vs weight.
And you will clearly see that the higher w/kg and lower your weight you will finish to the front of the pack.

The problem with the w/kg categories is it is easy for a heavy rider to manipulate, he can save a lot of energy on the flats and only use it when needed and thus never exceeding the 20min w/kg limit.

Once we have categories based on points you won't see heavy riders winning all the time.