Looking for help.

I am new to Zwift Power, been on Zwift for a few months, just started entering races and have completed two Kiss races this week

Kiss Americas AM (A), Monday 12th November

Kiss Pacific AM (A), Friday 15th November

I run a Tacx Vortex Smart trainer, which is calibrated using the Tacx utility app, its toward the top of the green section (towards too tight, as oppose to loose) I calibrate before every ride. - Rear tyre is schwalbe indoor trainer at 100 psi.

I'm 91kg's, 201 lbs, and relative fit from previously playing pro sport and I bury myself on every ride. - Although I do not feel I am an 'A' I put myself in the 'A' Group for both races.

First race, Kiss Americas, placed in the first group over the line, but did not win, I was DQ'd, this was the first time I had worn a HRM and it kept losing signal so there were periods it was not registering a HR, which brought down the average HR down was this why I was DQ'd?

Second Race, Kiss Pacific, similar scenario, placed in the first group, again did not win, this time HRM issues were rectified but again I was DQ'd and I have no idea why? Other riders had higher w/kgs and were not DQ'd.

All help appreciated - Thanks
Thanks for reaching out.

Can you not see the notes on your profile?

“ Please calibrate your trainer as the power being reported is above World Record Pro levels”

Now we know you have the legendary Tacx Vortex which even with a perfect calibration and set up often over reads by 10%. Given what you have told us I would expect yours to be over reading by significantly more. You’re putting out 400w for 20 mins every race and recorded 487w in one particular race. With those numbers You could challenge for the 1hr record.

If racing is important and you wish to feature in the results then you may want to consider upgrading to a reputable wheel-off (Direct Drive) trainer or power meter.
Yes I can see the note on my profile

"ZRDQ notes (Not publicly visible) - Please calibrate your trainer"

Can you not see where I stated on my post that I calibrate my trainer prior to every ride?

Can you not see where I state I am new to Zwift?

Do you think your douche-bag tone endears you to people?

Based on your logic, if my numbers are so impressive, your thinking not mine, why am I still being beaten by veterans in races?

Or are the veterans that are beating me the hour world record holders you speak of?
Parf7 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:14 pm
Yes I can see the note on my profile

"ZRDQ notes (Not publicly visible) - Please calibrate your trainer"

Can you not see where I stated on my post that I calibrate my trainer prior to every ride?

Can you not see where I state I am new to Zwift?

Do you think your douche-bag tone endears you to people?

Based on your logic, if my numbers are so impressive, your thinking not mine, why am I still being beaten by veterans in races?

Or are the veterans that are beating me the hour world record holders you speak of?
Perhaps I could have worded it better on reflection so I apologise.
No problem, to your credit you’re the only one that has replied which is appreciated, lets draw a line under it!

If you able I would still like some guidance on this, to clarify I only ride/race for fun, if my issue is not rectifiable or I need to buy new kit I will give up on Zwift power, I take on board the comments about my trainer, however it cost $500 and is only 4 months old, I won’t be buying another, I can still enjoy the riding on Zwift which is the main driver for me.

Being new I tried to read up on watt output, my understanding is that my raw watt output is high because I am heavy, 91Kg’s, (201 lbs) most of the guys I cycle within the game appear to be in the 60-70kg range. – I also have the benefit that in the real world my weight would hinder me in terms of rolling resistance of the bike, not to mention aero, neither of which are relevant on a static bike. - Inclines would also kill me on the road, Zwift does a decent job of this and I have to bury myself to try and keep up with the lighter guys but in the real world it would be worse.

However when all is said and done for the average 1 hour race my power to weight W/Kg is around the 4-4.5 mark, which puts me firmly in the amateur category, pro riders are in excess of 6 – I may put down more raw watts, but I have more mass to move. – As previously touched upon my w/kg is often less than some of the guys I ride against, yet their results stand due to their raw watt number being lower, which is due to their body weight being lower.

Pushing 390 watts at 90Kg’s equates to w/kg of 4.3 – Pushing 390 watts at 60Kg equates to w/kg of 6.5. – For a 60Kg rider to achieve a w/kg of 4.3 they only need to push 255watts, when I need to be pushing circa 390watts.

I also do not sandbag, I know that I could stay in the draft for the entire race, lower my average watt output and then just press at the end, but I am not in it for this, I like to take my turn at the front and to push, which again only serves to further increase my watts, but I am not going to stop doing this as burying myself is where I get the enjoyment.

The article below summarizes all of this very well.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/t ... urs-164589

I rode this morning in the Kiss Americas AM race, my w/kg was 4.1, I was DQ, the rest of the top 10 came in at 4.3, 4.6, 4, 4.7, 4.1, 5.7, 4.2, 4.5, 4.1 – I had a lower power to weight than most.

So in essence I guess my question is, can anything be done in so much as I will be judged on my power to weight W/Kg output, or will I continue to be disqualified forever? And it best that I just give up on Zwift Power now?

Or, which is a distinct possibility, am I missing something?

Thanks
Am not really sure what I can add to what I've said before.

I'm 100% certain your trainer is overreading significantly and can not be trusted, despite your efforts to calibrate it properly. It is well known to be inaccurate as I stated earlier.

I totally understand your frustration though because when you shell out $500 on a smart trainer you would expect it to be reasonably accurate.

I was not exaggerating when I likened your output to a Professional Cyclist.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/conor-dunne

I was going to link his ZwiftPower profile but he did not complete registration so his data may not be visible.

You can see his weight is similar to yours and his 20 mins power is comparable.

This guy is a super strong UCI Professional Cyclist.

If you still doubt my assessment perhaps you could try and get your hands on a Tacx Neo for example and give that a test.
Thanks for taking the time and providing the info. - I will opt out of ZP for the time being so as not to cause any issues to others.

Should my trainer ever fail and I go the direct drive route I may make a return. - In the interim I will try and up the resistance to the max on what I have!!

Thanks again
rent a pedal power meter
check what it shows
if the reading is out of 10% of your trainer, send the message to the seller or producer of the trainer - especially if it is under warranty still