Looking at the results of https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=100016, there seem to be some riders in C over the 95% of 20 minute limit. Don't these limits apply here? Zwiftpower puts me in cat D, but because I often just go over the 2.49 W/kg limit, I usually enter in C. I accept being last, but it's annoying to get beaten by people who should be a category higher.
We use the Zwift Power categories -

(A) - (FTP 4.2wkg) or (FTP 4.0wkg and 5mins 4.8wkg) and 5mins 240w.

(B) - (FTP 3.4wkg) or (FTP 3.2wkg and 5mins 4.0wkg) and 5mins 200w.

(C) - (FTP 2.7wkg) or (FTP 2.5wkg and 5mins 3.2wkg) and 5mins 160w.
robbolt wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:12 pm
We use the Zwift Power categories -

As I understand, that's how Zwiftpower assigns categories from a rider's last 30 days of race data, as shown in the right column on https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php. This is to prevent a B-rider from entering a race in the C-category. But it also states that existing category limits still apply to all races.

In this race, the winner in category B is already assigned category A and shouldn't be allowed to ride in B based on the designated category rule you stated. And the 2nd and 3rd place finishers in C are allowed to ride in C, but should be either disqualified or upgraded to B because they exceeded the upper limit for category C in the 95% of 20 minute W/kg power.
Results are still processing and should be given time.

Cat B winner should be in cat A.

The two C riders may have hit the 3.2 limit for 20 mins but they haven't hit the 5 min @ 4wkg limit.
But isn't the 5 mins @ 4wkg rule for future category assignment only?

Category enforcement during a race is only based on the 95% of 20 mins power. Just check all the zp admin replies when you search for "category enforcement" in the various forums:

"Cat Enforcement is taken from the 95% (of 20min) column. 2.49 W/KG and below is Cat D. 2.5 is start of Cat C."
Seb this is my last comment on the subject, I'm the organiser and I set the rules to suit our race series. I've no interest in what other people are saying in various forums or what other organisers do with their races.

Organisers have different ideas on how they run their races and how they want results compiled, this is great as new ideas keeps racing fresh.

Below is the category bands we use for the BRT race series -

If you don't agree with them then that's ok, if you don't agree with how we use them then that's also ok.

As long as you had a good work then that's really all what counts.

Race On! ;)
I'm sorry to hear you don't want to comment any further. I'm not questioning your right to organise your race the way you want. But the category bands you describe here are different from what is in the description of the race, where you state:

CATEGORIES
- PEN ( A ) : 4.0 wkg and OVER. (Red Circle Icon)
- PEN ( B ) : 3.2 to 3.99 wkg. (Green Circle Icon)
- PEN ( C ) : 2.5 to 3.19 wkg. (Blue Circle Icon)
- PEN ( D ) : 0 to 2.49 wkg. (Yellow Circle Icon)

These are the regular Zwift / Zwiftpower categories that most race organisers use. The categories you describe on this forum are the rules that Zwiftpower created to assign a category to riders based on their 90 day race results. You're using these on a race by race bases. This is fine of course, but maybe you should be clearer on this in the race description. Especially riders who are 'between categories' are helped by picking the right one.
I haven't added them to any race description due to the length of the parameters and potential confusion it may cause. I use the standard parameters for the event to keep things simple for racers.

The descriptions are long enough for the event, only so much information I can add.

The website contains most the information required.

Plus not many riders read event descriptions anyways...common problem since the beta days.

It's actually the last 30 days and not 90.

Not everything is perfect, we try our best, and it's not bad for free.

Enjoy!
Just to clarify.

The ZwiftPower category rules are in addition to the standard well recognised FTP values organisers have been using. They simply allow a little extra wiggle room for riders on the edge of a category limit.

Riders should continue to follow the simple FTP values given in event descriptions. Doing so you will never be DQ'd.
James Hodges wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:37 am
Just to clarify.

The ZwiftPower category rules are in addition to the standard well recognised FTP values organisers have been using. They simply allow a little extra wiggle room for riders on the edge of a category limit.

Riders should continue to follow the simple FTP values given in event descriptions. Doing so you will never be DQ'd.
Thanks for your clarification James. But I'm still not sure which category I should enter. I'm usually between 2.5 and 2.7 W/kg FTP, which puts me in C and would get me DQ'd in D in WBR and KISS events. But if I understand the BRT rules correctly, they allow up to 2.7 W/kg in D as long as you don't exceed 3.2 W/kg for 5 minutes. This puts me in D, especially in Time Trial events.

Of course it all doesn't really matter as long as you have a great work-out, etc. But it seems like we're all putting in a lot of effort to make the racing real and fair, and confusion about which class to enter seems unnecessary.